Thursday, March 7, 2013

Watch 'Pride & Prejudice' together to prep for the Jane Austen Festival


By Ann Maloney, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on March 06, 2013 at 11:44 AM, updated March 06, 2013 at 2:25 PM



Novelist Jane Austen's best-known work, "Pride & Prejudice," turned 200 on Jan. 17. This weekend, the Jane Austen Literary Festival will celebrate this literary landmark by focusing on the novel during its sixth annual event in Mandeville.

As a prelude to the festivities, I've decided to settle in at home on Friday night and watch the 2005 film version of the novel -- the one featuring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen.

Why don't you watch along with me?

Here's how: Grab a cup of tea and a biscuit; then, at precisely 7 p.m. on Friday, March 8, hit play on your DVD. If you don't have it, the film is available at Barnes and Noble as well as through various services, such as Hulu.

If you're on Twitter, follow along with me there, noting your favorite scenes, best lines and most touching moment. Fault-finders are welcome as well. Spoiler alert: I have strong feelings about the final scene in this version.

Find me on Twitter @AnnMMaloney. Please use hashtag #JaneAusten.

If you're on Facebook, friend me and follow along there. You can find my page here: https://www.facebook.com/AnnMMaloneyinNola.


(This is not my favorite adaptation. That, of course, is the BBC miniseries starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I cannot, however, ask you to tackle that with me: It's five lovely hours long. That's just too much of a commitment on such short notice.)

The anniversary has drawn attention to the novel, published just four years before Austen's death in 1817. I first read it at age 14 and then again and again and again.

In honor of the 200th anniversary, scholars and fans have attempted to explain why it endures:


READ MORE: http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2013/03/watch_pride_prejudice_together.html

No comments: