Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Henry Cavill, Luke Evans - My Review of 'Immortals'


My ‘Immortals’ Review


I think I have to get this out of my system, even if no one reads it. I went to see Immortals yesterday, finally! And I can honestly say, I have not felt this excited about a movie in a long time!

It was not what I expected, I’m not sure what I expected. I’m not a big fan of this genre, so I can’t say I had something in mind, normally I wouldn’t even pay attention to a movie of this kind, except this time two of my favorite British actors are in it, Luke Evans and Henry Cavill, who is fast becoming one of my top people to watch…I wonder why?

To the movie, the visual part of it is just breathtaking; to me it felt as if I was looking at a painting that moved. I could name many scenes that are edged in my mind, but it would take up this whole review, I’ll just say that if this movie doesn’t receive at least 3 nominations in the art department I will forever stop paying attention to the Oscars.

Tarsem Singh, what can I say about him? He is a genius! I liked how the movie engages you from the beginning and here I’m not sure who is exactly responsible for that, Tarsem or the brothers Charley and Vlas Parlapanides who wrote this brilliant script. I truly appreciated the way the narrator grabs your attention right away. Most movies take a while to go through the motion and present the characters and plot so you can actually follow the story, this goes right for it and you’re in it, immersed in this fantasy world.

As for the cast, I think everyone is perfect for their role, I will concentrate on Luke and Henry, since this blog is partly dedicated to both of them. I’ll start with Henry, since he is our main hero here. I was so impressed with him as Theseus, and not just because of obvious reasons, yes he is one of the most attractive actors out there, but more than that, he brings a certain vulnerability to the role, which to me is so engaging. That ‘poor baby’ quality had me wanting to hug him and comfort him the entire time.

My favorite scenes of Henry are when Phaedra (Freida Pinto) makes him drink water dripping from her mouth, I’ve read some comments where people say it’s disgusting, I thought it was beautifully done, never seen anything quite like it, also it broke my heart to see him try to protect his mother. During the love scene, he also brought me to tears when his eyes filled with them. Very powerful performance and he carries the movie.

His fighting scenes are brutal and you can tell what a dedicated actor he is. His body is like a perfectly oiled (pardon the pun) machine, it’s like he’s performing this carefully choreographed dance brilliantly. I think the character has a wide range of qualities that seem to fit Henry perfectly. He will be the perfect Man of Steel.

Now to Luke Evans. I will say this, this is not how I envisioned Zeus before watching his portrayal of the father of the gods. No way. Every time Luke was on screen he exuded confidence and leadership as the role indicates. I admit, it was strange to see him play the father to the other young gods, but it works, just because of his great talent. Luke has these rugged good looks, not your classic ‘pretty boy’, but very masculine, tough almost. In that regard he was perfect for the role, you couldn’t have someone prettier, that wouldn’t work.

My favorite scenes were when he comes down from heaven and makes the earth shake, loved that. ‘Prove-me-right’ is a classic line now, as well as the show of his wrath and of course that last fighting epic scene where he swings that gigantic whip. He also brought me to tears when he shows his fatherly love, very moving.

My only complaint about Luke is that I was expecting him to have more screen time; I want to see more of him, just as I did for Three Musketeers! Luckily for me, he has at least two movies ready to be released this coming year; that makes me very happy. He is brilliant in my opinion.

As a Mickey Rourke fan of years past, I was very impressed with his performance; he is the classic baddie and does a very good job as the ruthless King Hyperion. He had me cringing every time he was on and asking what will he be up to now? The final epic battle with Theseus is so well performed and he shows he still has some muscles and does a fine job of beating the crap out of the poor boy.

I’m not a big fan of violent films, but the violence and gory blood scenes worked for me, even if I had to close my eyes at that ‘balls crunching’ hammer and other torture parts. Even that was done appropriately as far as the story is concerened. I was definitely cheering the gods and Theseus on and wishing they did away with Hyperion and his hench men, classic good versus evil theme.

All in all, I am ready to see this again! That tells you all you need to know about what I thought of ‘Immortals’. I will also say that I’m very happy to see all the success finally coming to what seem to be lovely people. Henry and Luke deserve all the good things they are getting at this moment.

Congratulations to all involved in this fantastic movie and best wishes for future success! We’ll be watching you.

Patricia.

5 comments:

Karen V. Wasylowski said...

Great review buddy!! Now I am going to have to see this movie. Maybe it will get me out of the dog house for having made Richie see Three Mustketeers!

And I guess we'll be keeping that Immortals gadget up for their website for a long time. This move is going to be around for a while! Great work, Patrical. You write the best reviews of all!

Karen

Patricia said...

Thanks darling! Richie would love this, I think men will really like it!

Anonymous said...

It’s probably one of the best-looking films of the whole year (yet, I still haven’t seen Tree of Life) and the action is awesome and in-you-face which is something I always like. The story dragged on a bit and I couldn’t help but think that if the writing was a tweaked a little better, this would have definitely been a very solid film. Instead it was just fun and pretty to look at. Good review.

Patricia said...

Thank you dtmmr. I really enjoyed the story though :) Definitely in your face action!

F.FRANKLIN said...

actually i too found the scene where phaedra making him drink the water from her mouth beautiful.the scene looks like a beautiful painting especially phaedra's red costume in the scene.the background score at that scene also helped.overall i liked the film