Thursday, May 31, 2012

Julian Fellowes: 'I am the product of strong women' The creator of Downton Abbey Julian Fellowes has spoken of his inspiration for his leading ladies, saying: “I’m a product of strong women.” (THE TELEGRAPH) By Hannah Furness6:15AM BST 31 May 2012



The writer, who has shaped such formidable characters as Maggie Smith’s Dowager Countess of Grantham, said he was brought up by female role models and admitted they had become a “hallmark” of his work.

Lord Fellowes, who won an Oscar for his screenplay of Gosford Park, said many of his female characters were “freedom fighters” and added he had chosen the early 20th century setting for Downton Abbey because it was a period of change.

He said: “I’m a believer in strong women.

“I’m a product of strong women. I was brought up by them, I’ve lived with them all my life, and heaven knows I’m married to one.”


Speaking at the Women’s Institute AGM at the Royal Albert Hall in London, he also hinted at the inspiration behind some of his most famous characters.

He told the audience he admired his great-aunt Isie, who became known for her quick, cutting remarks on the subject of good manners and prudent household management.

He added he chose to set period drama Downton Abbey in the pre-war years, progressing through to the First World War as the series went on, because it highlighted the changing society of Britain.
"The war was a tremendous melting pot,” he said. “It woke the country up.



READ MORE:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/9301810/Julian-Fellowes-I-am-the-product-of-strong-women.html



No comments: