Last updated at 11:56 PM on 23rd December 2011
1. With what famous historical event does the first series begin?
(a) The start of World War I (b) The sinking of the Titanic (c) The death of King Edward VII (d) The invention of the telephone
2. What sound informs the family and guests at Downton Abbey that they should start getting ready for dinner?
3. With what deadly disease does the second series end?
(a) Spanish Flu (b) German Measles (c) Rocky Mountain Fever (d) Delhi Belly
4. What is the job of Joe Burns, Mrs Hughes’s old flame?
5. Which of these characters dies as a result of this disease?
(a) Lavinia Swire (b) Mr Carson (c) Mrs Patmore (d) Dr Clarkson
6. What relation is Lord Grantham to Matthew, his heir?
7. What is the correct term for the wife of an Earl, as applied to two Downton characters?
(a) Baroness (b) Marchioness(c) Countess (d) Earl Indoors
8. What does Gwen, the housemaid, keep in a box on top of her bedroom cupboard?
9. Lord Grantham’s eldest daughter Lady Mary has a sinful secret that could ruin her reputation. What is it?
(a) She had an improper passion for her maid (b) A Greek ship owner got her pregnant (c) A Turkish diplomat died naked in her bed (d) She once said ‘serviette’ instead of‘napkin’
10. What is the name of Lord Grantham’s dog?
11. From which West Sussex town do the aristocratic family who live at Downton Abbey take their name?
(a) Horsham (b) Crawley (c) Pulborough (d) Bognor-Regis
12. In what fictional Army unit does Matthew serve during World War I?
13. What precious object is stolen by Mr Bates’ enemies, Thomas and O’Brien, with the intention of framing him?
(a) A pair of Lord Grantham’s gold cufflinks (b) A first edition book from the library (c) An antique blue snuffbox (d) A bottle of vintage brandy
14. At which battle in 1918 are both Matthew and William wounded, the latter fatally?
15. What is the lucrative occupation of Sir Richard Carlisle, to whom Lady Mary is engaged to be married?
(a) Arms manufacturer (b) Mine owner (c) Newspaper baron (d)Industrialist
16. What is the name of the shell-shocked war veteran who briefly serves as Lord Grantham’s valet?
17. What does Downton Abbey become during World War I?
(a) HQ for the Army’s General Staff (b) A convalescent home for
wounded officers (c) A code-breaking centre (d) A tourist attraction, with lions
18. With what exotic garment, inspired by the Orient does Lady Sybil scandalise the family at dinner?
19. What event is taking place at Downton Abbey when war is declared?
(a) A garden party (b) A shooting party (c) A hunt (d) A funeral
20. With what chemical, used to clean copper pots, does Daisy the kitchen maid almost poison the entire Downton Abbey household?
21. With which wholly unsuitable married man does Lady Edith have a brief wartime fling?
(a) Mr Bell, the vicar (b) Mr Lamb, the butcher (c) Mr White, the milkman
(d) Mr Drake, the farmer
22. By the end of series two, how should Daisy formally be addressed?
23. What classic wartime song does Lady Mary sing to entertain the troops at Downton Abbey?
(a) It’s A Long Way to Tipperary (b) If You Were The Only Girl in the World
(c) Oh! It’s A Lovely War (d) Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit-Bag
24. Who is given the prize for the finest blooms at the annual Downton flower show?
25. The chauffeur at Downton Abbey has the same surname as a modern British business tycoon. What is it?
(a) Dyson (b) Branson (c) Bannatyne (d) Sugar
26. Who tells the Turkish Ambassador the true cause of Kemal Pamuk’s death?
27. This chauffeur tries to elope with Lady Sybil. Where are they going when intercepted by Sybil’s sisters Mary and Edith?
(a) Paris (b) London (c) Dublin (d) Gretna Green
28. What clause in his father’s will obliges Lord Grantham to give his heir the entire Downton Abbey estate as well as his title?
29. Uh-oh! The chauffeur’s now planning to attack a General. But with what?
(a) A tyre-iron (b) A loaded revolver (c) A kitchen knife (d) A soup tureen filled with oil, ink, cowpats and sour milk
30. In what famous political scandal did Lavinia Swire play a crucial role?
31. Which of these statements about Lord Grantham’s valet Mr Bates is NOT true?
(a) He is a bigamist (b) He is a reformed drunkard (c) He has been jailed for theft (d) He is a murder suspect
32. What is Matthew’s profession?
33. In what music-hall double act did Mr Carson the butler once perform?
(a) The Cheeky Chappies (b) The Cheerful Charlies (c) The Champion Chums (d) The Chelsea Chancers
34. A Downton character was wrongly jailed for the theft of regimental silver. Who was the actual thief?
35. Downton Abbey’s scripts were criticised for using inappropriately modern phrases. Which of the following examples was among them?
(a) Oh, mother, don’t be so square (b) Well, I think you look cool (c) You’ve been taking logic pills again (d) Chill out, m’lord
36. At which celebrated hospital is Mrs Patmore treated?
37. Downton creator Julian Fellowes was wrongly mocked for including a word that had actually originated in 1889. What was it?
(a) Boyfriend (b) Bullseye (c) Bingo (d) Brassiere
38. Who is about to propose to Lady Edith, only to be put off by a spiteful lie from Lady Mary?
39. What is Julian Fellowes’s full name and title?
(a) Mr Julian Alexander Fellowes (b) The Hon. Julian Alexander Kitchener-Fellowes (c) Sir Julian Kitchener-Fellowes (d) The Rt. Hon Julian Alexander Baron Fellowes of West Stafford
40. Who is the only person allowed to unlock the door between the male and female servants’ quarters?
Typewriter. 9 (C). 10 Pharaoh. 11 (B). 12 The Duke of Manchester’s Own Regiment. 13 (C). 14
Amiens. 15 (C). 16 Henry Lang. 17 (B). 18 A pair of harem pants. 19 (A). 20 Salt of sorrel. 21 (D).
22 Mrs William Mason. 23 (B). 24 Bill Molesley. 25 (B). 26 Lady Edith. 27 (D). 28 The ‘entail’. 29
(D). 30 The Marconi scandal. 31 (A). 32 Lawyer. 33 (B). 34 Vera Bates. 35 (C). 36 Moorfields Eye
Hospital. 37 (A). 38 Sir Anthony Strallan. 39 (D). 40 Mrs Hughes.
TOTAL AVAILABLE POINTS = 40
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2078246/Do-know-Downton-From-Lord-Granthams-dog-Mrs-Patmores-catchphrase.html#ixzz1hhkilIvZ