Saturday, January 21, 2012

Paul McCartney: Read Highlights from This Morning's Paul McCartney Webcast (Paste Magazine)

By Kristen Blanton

On big events this year:
McCartney: If there is something they want me to do, they tend to dictate it rather than me. I’d like to be doing something, though I won’t know until our meeting tomorrow
.

On the album’s sweet spot:
McCartney: When I came in, I didn’t know how to do it. We’re in Capitol Studios, iconic to Nat King Cole and Sinatra… all these guys recorded here. I found it a little bit intimidating. We chose a song, very organically. Didn’t make it too stiff. I was using a big voice, “Heaven, I’m in heaven” (he starts singing very loudly), it made me feel very uncomfortable.

So what was the key?
McCartney: Channeling Fred Astaire. If you listen careful, you’ll hear Fred Astaire. I decided to use this littler voice. I’m not very good about it. That’s what we wanted to do, get in the room. We’d say, what song do you want to do? We’d pull up chords and lyrics. Tony (producer) sat in the room, usually they’re not in the actual room, but he was. It became more intimate. Also, figure it out. Kick it around and then record it. Then what you get is something really fresh. I think that’s why I had so much fun doing it. It was just made up on the spot. No preconceived ideas. I think we all felt we contributed.

On his favorite song on the new album:
McCartney: I think probably “My Valentine” because it’s kind of the newest for me. I really had a lot of fun with Eric doing the solo on it. Again, he just came up with the solo. (whistles tune) I like that. Of the old songs I also love “Bye Bye Blackbird” because normally you get (begins singing) but Tommy’s idea was to slow it right down, which I was a bit dubious about at first, but I think it works. It was very similar to how The Beatles worked. Bring it in, kick it around, and record it. The fact I was working with great jazz musicians, it’s really cool to just say to the guys, ‘let’s just go from the bass,” and the guy’s an unbelievable player, so he knows exactly what to play, which really worked.

On being an idol
McCartney: It’s very strange indeed. Really, I’m just a kid from Liverpool still. It’s great, you know I supposed you want to be the best you can be in anything. When you get there, you can’t say you don’t want to be that. It’s a reflection of what people think you did well. You have to kind of accept it and thank them.

On becoming one of rock’s elder statesmen
McCartney: That’s the perspective of youth, you know? We thought 30 was really old. Now I think it’s amazingly young. The guys who came out of college at 24, we felt sorry for them. But they’re so young. I must admit, I didn’t expect to be singing and playing at the level I am now. It keeps things interesting. We were in South America last year and the crowds were amazing, the best. You come out to that, and it’s hard to say no to that… even though I am over 30. I always say at the end of all my concerts, “See ya next time.” And I mean it. I’ll do it until they let me.



Read More:  http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/01/paul.html

No comments: