Thursday, January 24, 2013

Richard Armitage: Fans in clamour for actor to become king Wednesday, January 23, 2013 Leicester Mercury Follow By Gemma Peplow



Leicestershire actor Richard Armitage has spoken several times about his interest in King Richard III and ideas to tell his story on the big screen or on the stage.

And his own army of fans from all corners of the world are right behind him.


Roswitha Gerhart, who lives in Munich, Germany, has co-launched an online "support network" for a film or theatre production, and more than 1,100 fans have signed up.

Richard Armitage, who most recently played dwarf Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit, was named after the last Plantagenet king, and has spoken about his story in many publications – including the Leicester Mercury's More magazine last month.


During the interview, he said: "I managed to get home and see my parents in Huncote when we finished filming The Hobbit in New Zealand.

"It was just as they were finding the Richard III bones in that car park. I'm excited to hear about the findings of this DNA, I've watched with interest.

"Richard III, now that's a play. I was named after him. My father's a historical fanatic about his character and I've inherited that enthusiasm, but I know by the time I get the chance I'll be too old and too tall to play the role.

"I'd somehow like to realise that part of history."

KING RICHARD ARMITAGE PETITION

READ MORE: http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Fans-clamour-actor-king/story-17937749-detail/story.html


No comments: