Sunday, October 16, 2011

Downton Abbey Series 2 – Episode 5 Review (SPOILERS)

Anglotopia

October 16, 2011 By  




The real consequences of World War I finally hit the Crawleys personally – and their staff as well in a heartbreaking episode of Downton Abbey.

As usual, we made use of TheTelly.net to watch season 2 episode 6 of Downton Abbey. So worth the money to not have to wait until January!

The Bates/Anna storyline continues its slow resolve and Mrs. Bates gets dispatched in a rather surprising way but I’m sure we’re haven’t heard the last from the Pamuk love affair. That story, though, is rather minor compared to what else is going on in the house.

Both Matthew and William get gravely injured in the war and both come home. I don’t want to give too much away of what’s happened to them but in both their cases it’s not good. It’s especially not good for Matthew – whom will never be the same.

I don’t want to give more away but I’m proud of Daisy for sticking with it and doing the right thing. She finally realized that it was never about her – it was about William.

Despite Sir Richard coming into to rescue Mary from herself, I really don’t trust him nor like him and I don’t think we’re meant to. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the weeks ahead.
This episode ends with a heartbreaking wedding but I won’t say for who. The wife and I were almost in tears a couple times.

The pacing was a little off again in this episode but that may simply be because we have to watch it with commercials. We’re now firmly in the second half the season and while it would have been nice for nothing to change in the show – things are quite different and will be forever changed.
Can’t wait for next week as usual!

No comments: