Sunday, July 22, 2012

Brendan Coyle Interview: Brendan Coyle talks 'Downton Abbey' Season 3 WHAT'S NEXT FOR THE IMPRISONED BATES AND MORE By Daniel Fienberg SUNDAY, JUL 22, 2012 2:07 PM (HIT FIX)


(PART OF THE INTERVIEW)

Actually, other than his consummate politeness, Coyle seems very little like Mr. Bates. He dresses nattily, walks without a limp and -- and this will seem almost unfathomable for "Downton Abbey" fans -- he frequently smiles.

I got very few spoilers out of Coyle in our brief chat.

I know that Mr. Bates will spend some/much of Season Three in prison. But I don't know how much, exactly.

I also know that he knows what happened with Vera, the horrible late Mrs. Bates, but I don't know what he knows.

Click through for the full conversation...

HitFix: First off, congratulations on the Emmy nomination!

Brendan Coyle: Thank you very much, Dan. I appreciate it. It's a lovely thing.


HitFix: Did you have any expectations or anticipation or nervousness about that?

Brendan Coyle: No, I didn't even know I was in the running. No one said, "Listen, you might be nominated for an Emmy." I didn't think about it at all. I was nominated for a BAFTA the year before, so that was lovely, but I thought, "That's it now for 'Downton Abbey.'" So this is extraordinary. It's indicative of also the way it's been appreciated in the States, which has been remarkable for us. And... yeah. I'm delighted.


HitFix: Who let you know and how?

Brendan Coyle: Well, we had a break in filming. It was during our lunch hour. I was sitting having "a sneaky fag," as we call it, with O'Brien, with Siobhan Finneran. The producer came up. He had about three phones on-the-go and he was talking to someone while saying, out of the corner of his mouth, "And here's the Emmy nominated Brendan Coyle." And I just went, "What? What?!?" The extraordinary thing is... Joanne Froggatt, she popped out to the post office, so she didn't know about her nomination either, so we were filming a scene and half-way through the scene, we broke for lunch. So when we left, half of the scene we shot was as non-nominees and when we came back after lunch, we'd both been nominated for an Emmy. So I'm gonna watch that scene and see if you can see if there's any glow in the second part of the scene.


HitFix: Given how much your characters and performances are tied together, how gratifying was it for you that Joanne was also nominated?

Brendan Coyle: So gratifying! I'm such a fan of her work and I see it at close quarters and I just think she's magnificent. She's a beautiful actor and I was just really thrilled for her. So deserved.


TO READ THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW:http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/brendan-coyle-talks-downton-abbey-season-3

No comments: