Saturday, May 19, 2012

Gerard Butler: Cannes charity auction reject By Bryan Alexander, USA TODAY (LIVE FROM CANNES)



Sometimes even Hollywood stars get a little rejection.

Scottish stud Gerard Butler got some after he was reluctantly brought onstage at the star-studded "Carnival in Cannes Gala for Haitian Relief" on Friday night.

Director Paul Haggis thought his presence would help sweeten the pot for the big prize -- a Golden Globe weekend pass.

Haggis figured that offering tea with Butler to a potential bidder would help push the package -- which offered tickets to the best parties during Golden Globes weekend -- into a much higher range.

But the final bidder ended up buying the package and insisting, very loudly, that he didn't want Butler as part of it.

Final purchase price was more than $125,000. Total Butler added value: $0. Ouch!

Butler told USA TODAY on Saturday that it was all in good fun.

"I know the guy that bought it, he didn't need to buy tea with me," he laughed.

But he admitted that Haggis has made a fool of him before by dragging him onstage for auctions.

"No one has the ability to make a fool of me like Paul Haggis. He makes me come up and stand on stage. He makes me feel like an idiot," said Butler. "I think most of my most humiliating experiences in my whole career have been caused by Paul Haggis. He pimps me out."

READ MORE:  http://content.usatoday.com/communities/livefrom/post/2012/05/gerard-butler-cannes-charity-auction-reject/1#.T7g7i0VSTiY


No comments: