Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tom Hiddleston talks Shakepeare’s Henry and Thor's Loki Exclusive: Hiddleston compares Prince Hal and Avengers villain Jul 16th 2012By Total Film



Tom Hiddleston’s portrayal of Prince Hal in the BBC’s The Hollow Crown is currently being slathered with praise, and we've spoken to The Avengers actor about his latest Shakespearean role.

The Hollow Crown is BBC Two’s ambitious collection of Shakespeare’s history plays, comprising Richard II, Henry IV Parts 1 & 2, and Henry V. Hiddleston is Prince Hal, a central player who goes on to become – SPOILER! – Henry V.

When we recently caught up with the Asgardian outcast, he spoke about the challenges of the role, and even compared Prince Hal to Loki.

What was it like filming Henry IV Parts 1 & 2 and Henry V?

"It’s so ambitious, what we’re trying to do. I did it Benjamin Button-style, in reverse order. So I started with the end of Henry V and slowly worked backwards.

"So before Christmas we shot the battle of Agincourt, and after Christmas we shot pre-Agincourt, and then I had a day off and went to the end of Henry IV, where Hal rejects Falstaff. And my last day on Henry IV is the opening scenes in the pub when he’s the most rebellious."

Sounds hard to get your head round…

"But I feel it’s kind of interesting, because, in character, I’m shedding responsibility as I go. So I started with the weight of war on my shoulders, the lessons that he learns about leadership and about war and kingship, and I end with the smiles and laughter of rebellion."


No comments: