Friday, November 16, 2012

Domhnall Gleeson, 'Anna Karenina' Star, On The Worst Thing For An Actor (HUFF POST)



Christopher Rosen Become a fan
Christopher.Rosen@huffingtonpost.com


Gleeson is having a bit of a moment. The erstwhile Bill Weasley in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" plays the big-hearted Konstantin Levin in "Anna Karenina," Joe Wright's ambitious adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's classic novel.

"I would have never considered myself for a romantic role, that was something Joe decided I was able to do," Gleeson told HuffPost during a recent interview. "He made a big step forward for me in that way, just by trusting me."

Gleeson, 29, has been working as an actor since he was a teenager, but it's only now that he's ready to ascend up the ranks. In addition to "Anna Karenina," Gleeson's next run of movies find him starring opposite Rachel McAdams (in the time-travel romance "About Time"), Michael Fassbender (in the comedy "Frank") and even his father, actor Brendan Gleeson (in the star-studded drama "Cavalry").

HuffPost Entertainment chatted with Gleeson about "Anna Karenina" and his burgeoning career.

How did you get involved with "Anna Karenina"?
I came onboard after somebody else dropped out. I had auditioned for a small part in "Hanna" for Joe, but didn't get it. So we kept in touch, because he's just sort of one of those guys. He said, "Do you want to come and audition?" I couldn't believe that he was letting me audition for it at all. I read the book in four days and went down to meet him and did a five-hour audition. I left the audition thinking, "Well, even if it doesn't happen, I feel like I've gotten better by having him direct me for a few hours." Then I did a table read, and after that, Joe asked me to do the part. I did a little dance in the street. It was one of the great moments.

THERE'S LOTS MORE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/domhnall-gleeson-anna-karenina_n_2141779.html

No comments: