Sunday, April 7, 2013

Richard Armitage: 'I wish I could jump out of character; I'd be more popular' (The Independent)

ADAM JACQUES Author Biography

I never like to go out of character when filming starts I fear that if I do, I might not be able to pick it up again. This was particularly the case with the character Thorin Oakenshield [in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit]. He's moody and broody, so people kept their distance from me during the production. I wish I was good at jumping out of character in between takes, as I'd be more popular socially.

Publicity for 'The Hobbit' was relentless I was travelling and doing junkets around the world, being asked the same questions every day for three weeks. Then at the end of the working day I'd have to get down the red carpet. It's pretty hard work. I much prefer being in front of a camera.

I love how Gary Oldman disappears into a role You see a character before you see him; you believe him as he's so invested in that character, such as his George Smiley in Tinker Tailor… That's what I'm striving for.

I'd like to act in a film without special effectsI've spent the past two years in a special FX environment for The Hobbit. I also need to find something where I'm not fighting or inflicting violence on someone, as a lot of the roles I've had, such as Lucas North in Spooks and Guy of Gisborne in Robin Hood, have involved that. I don't know why that's been the case!

No comments: