Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Martin Clunes: "Do I suffer for my art? Well, I get a lot of flatulence when I'm nervous"


Martin Clunes on the set of Reggie Perrin




Actor and comedian Martin Clunes, seen on the set of the BBC's new version of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Photograph: Teri Pengilley

Interview by Laura Barnett
The Guardian, Monday 13 April 2009

What got you started?

Seeing Peter O'Toole in the film Murphy's War when I was about nine. It was set somewhere with lovely blue seas, and O'Toole's then real-life wife, Siân Phillips, played his love interest. Blue seas, blue skies, and real love - I thought, "That's gotta be the business for me."

What was your big breakthrough?

Getting my first wage packet, for a theatre job at the Mercury theatre, Colchester. But my really big break could still be round the corner.

What have you sacrificed for your art?

Privacy. I'm quite recognisable, and I get people coming up to me all the time. They don't throw rocks. At least, they haven't yet.


What one song would feature on the soundtrack to your life?

Rod Stewart's Sailing has made a few significant appearances in my life. It was the song I always did the slow dance to at the school disco. Then I had the choir sing it at my wedding, and did quite a famous rendition of it in Men Behaving Badly.

Is the new Reggie Perrin as funny as the original?

TV audiences are more demanding now - if you watch the original, it seems very slow, so there are more laughs per page this time around. Will people get it? I really hope so.

Do you suffer for your art?

I get a lot of flatulence when I'm nervous. But that's more discomfort than suffering.

What advice would you give a young actor?


Get me some tea.

No comments: