Thursday, December 29, 2011

He Said, She Said: 'Warrior' winner of the year (ChicoEr)

By ALLEN LUNDE and MICHELLE MacEACHERN - Correspondents

Click photo to enlarge
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tom Hardy stars as Tommy in "Warrior,"
a movie that both critics liked.(Photo via...
 
The movie couple takes a look at the year 2011 in review.
 
MICHELLE: This was a bad year, movie-wise. The big epics don't seem to be as thrilling as expected. If you read my review of "J. Edgar," you know what I mean. Ditto for "Hugo." Let me put it this way "Kung Fu Panda 2" and "Cars 2" are making some reviewers' "Best Of" lists. I rest my case.

ALLEN: If you are, or have ever been, a teenage boy, "Thor" and "Captain America" didn't suck. I was going to vote for "Drive Angry"...

MICHELLE: Sometimes I can't believe I'm in the same column with you, let alone married to you. And I'm sure my husband thinks Charlize Theron's movie, "Young Adult" should win. He thinks her movies should win every year ever since he saw her naked behind in "Cider House Rules." Perhaps he'll give her an award for those perfume commercials.

ALLEN: Eat your heart out Angie! Yes my love for Charlize knows no bounds, but aside from her physical attributes, she actually makes good movies.

MICHELLE: I think "Warrior," "The Help," "Source Code" and "Drive" were actually some of my favorites. But I secretly want to vote for "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World," even though it came out in 2010. And I suspect I'm voting for "Source Code" because I'm obsessed with "Moon," director Duncan Jones earlier project. (I have no idea if it ever played here, but I doubt it. It's weird and awesome. Rent it. You'll like it if you're similarly weird and awesome.) "Warrior's" plot was a stretch, but it has some
amazing performances, especially from Tom Hardy, who wins my "best newcomer" award.
 
ALLEN: "Warrior" was my favorite film of the year and I didn't expect much from it. To the teenage fantasy I have to add "X-Men First Class" which did a good job reviving that franchise. I like things that go boom, but I really had trouble finding an inspiring drama. And in these times I just can't get my juices flowing for a Lars von Trier depression festival called "Melancholia." Give me a break.

MICHELLE: I guess we're saying it was a good year to stay home and watch television.


http://www.chicoer.com/entertainment/ci_19637464

No comments: