Friday, January 20, 2012

Elizabeth McGovern: Playing an American Living in England not such a stretch (USA Today)


Actress Elizabeth McGovern on the twists of fate that transported her career (and family life) to England.  Her British husband may not be an aristocrat, but otherwise, Elizabeth McGovern says, playing an American living in England in the oh-so-English PBS period series Downton Abbey is a practically a slam-dunk for the actress.

 

“I’m living in a world that wasn’t my own growing up,” says the L.A. native, who has lived in London for 18 years. She has two teenage daughters with director Simon Curtis.

We asked her about the expat life and more:

 

How hard was it to move abroad?

 

“It was traumatic. I was making three life-changing decisions at once. I was pregnant, getting married and changing countries. I was also sort of abandoning my career. But I never thought twice about it. I have no regrets.”

 

What do you wish you knew at 20?

 

“When I was younger, the effort to seduce or engage the male was much more prevalent. I viewed women as competitors. I was very awkward and socially much more self-conscious. I judged myself much more.”







Read More:  http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20120120/ENTERTAINMENT05/301200012/Playing-an-American-living-abroad-Downton-Abbey-isn-t-such-stretch?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage



No comments: