Saturday, June 23, 2012

Billy Connolly Speaks On Peter Jackson’s ‘The Hobbit’ – “I’m Covered In Armour, It’s Like I’m Wearing A Volkswagen” (FLICKS AND BITS)



On the promotional campaign for Pixar’s ‘Brave,’ the ever hilarious Billy Connolly spoke briefly about his work on Peter Jackson’s two-part movie adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s ‘The Hobbit.’ In the two films, Connolly plays Dain Ironfoot, the great Dwarf warrior and cousin of Richard Armitage’s Thorin Oakenshield. Commenting on what it feels like becoming a Dwarf, Connolly revealed, “It was brilliant, it still is brilliant, I’m in the middle of it. It’s only a cameo role, I’m hardly in it… I’m covered in armour, it’s like I’m wearing a Volkswagen! I don’t know how I’m supposed to fight with all this stuff.”

The legendary comedian and actor humorously provided some details about his involvement with the film and his history with J.R.R. Tolkien’s source material, “My manager said, “You’ve got an offer for this ‘Hobbit’ thing, would you fancy it?” I said, “Oooohhhhh.” It was the most bizarre thing I’ve ever done because they sent me a page of dialogue and I wasn’t on it. I thought, “What do they think I’m gonna get from this?” I think it was to show me the kind of language that was being used. Then I got there to New Zealand and they gave me a script that I wasn’t in. And Peter Jackson said, “Have you read ‘The Hobbit’? And I said, “No.” I said, “Not only that, but I don’t like people who have.” (Laughs) He thought it was funny, I had to explain that when I was a young hippy guy, there was two distinct camps, there was the blues and bluegrass brigade, who liked American music and goodtime. And then there was them, with the glasses and the Tolkien. I thought, “Give me a break.” I never liked them, so I made it my business to never read Tolkien in case I became one of them. And then I got offered the part (laughs).”




READ MORE:  http://www.flicksandbits.com/2012/06/23/billy-connolly-speaks-on-peter-jacksons-the-hobbit-im-covered-in-armour-its-like-im-wearing-a-volkswagen/27611/


No comments: