Sunday, July 8, 2012

Q&A with Joanne Froggatt Date July 9, 2012 2 reading nowRead later Giles Hardie (SYDNEY MORNING HERALD)



You're in the middle of shooting series three of Downton Abbey. Did you ever imagine a period piece having this much success?

No. I don't know of a TV program in my lifetime that's come from the UK that's had that kind of success. When I first got the script for the audition of the part of Anna, my agent called and said, ''Oscar-winner Julian Fellowes has written it and double Oscar-winner Maggie Smith is attached to it,'' so I thought, ''Hmm, this could be something really good, I think I'll certainly have a read of that.'' So I started reading it and I couldn't stop. It was such a page-turner. They don't come along every day.


Was it a tough role to get?

I only went for one audition. We all had different experiences. Some people went for four. I had to wait for quite a few weeks to find out because they were discussing how to track the relationship with Mr Bates. At first it was written as a much more instant attraction but when they cast Brendan [Coyle] and I in the parts - I know they'd always had Brendan in mind to play Mr Bates - because of the age gap they wanted to make the relationship kind of grow from a friendship and respect for one another and a similarity in personality. Which I thought was so much more beautiful and it was really fun to have the time to play that slow build of the relationship, and I think that makes it more believable as a strong, lifelong partnership.





Read more:http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/qa-with-joanne-froggatt-20120706-21kn3.html

2 comments:

dancing.rainbowws1 said...

Just love these two together. I think the pairing is extraordinary They are equally as gifted in other movies I've seen, such as The Glass Virgin and North & South for Brendan, and Robin Hood for Joanne. The whole series is so well written and executed. Cheers

Karen V. Wasylowski said...

Were they together in The Glass Virgin? I didn't know that