Monday, February 25, 2013

Henry Cavill: We get the inside scoop about working with Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Henry Cavill



With The Tudors, which chronicles the early years of King Henry VIII, soon to be shown from the very beginning on Sony TV, Entertainmentwise took the opportunity to sit down with Michael Hirst, the writer, creator and executive producer of the award-winning television drama. We got the inside scoop on what it was like working with a star-studded cast including 'Bend it Like Beckham'’s Jonathan Rhys Meyers and the new Superman himself, Henry Cavill.


 Q. What inspired and drew you to create a television show around the life of a young Henry Tudor?
A. The truth is that I was asked to do it. A young American TV producer came over to meet me and he thought he could turn the Tudor dynasty into an American TV soap opera, which made me laugh. Of course I had written a film about Elizabeth I, and I loved the Tudor period, and I think at the time Working Title and I had debated on whether to do Elizabeth I or Henry VIII. I’d always wanted to do Henry VIII. Like Elizabeth I’d had this feeling that it had never properly been addressed.


Q. Tell us what it was like working with Henry Cavill who plays Henry's best friend Charles Brandon in The Tudors?
A. (Laughs) Yes well he’s Superman now!


Q. I know! When you cast Henry Cavill, did you think he would become a massive star and be cast as Superman in the new Man of Steel film?
A. My partner, who is a producer in Ireland, had worked with Henry Cavill since he had been a boy and he had shot a couple of movies in Ireland. He suggested him for the show, but we had to convince the Americans. And after the first casting with all the executives, the reaction was: 'We have to have him!'

Q. I would cast him!
A. Yes that was the general feeling from everyone, and he was absolutely lovely to work with. He’s very quiet and modest and shy. He would ask me how I wanted him to play scenes, he even asked me once: 'I want to go to the gym what should I work on?' (Laughs) He is very endearing. It’s great that he is with Henry for the whole four series and he remained Henry’s best friend – they died within a short time of each other. It was wonderful that I could take him through all these series.


READ MORE: http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/68488/1/Entertainmentwise-Chats-With-The-Tudors-Michael-Hirst

No comments: