Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Martin Freeman: Making First "Hobbit" Film Was "Huge" The first installment of Peter Jackson's new Tolkein trilogy arrives on Blu Ray


As “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” – the first installment director Peter Jackson’s long-awaited film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkein’s beloved prequel to “The Lord of the Rings” saga – makes its way to Blu-ray, Bilbo Baggins himself – in the form of actor Martin Freeman (“Sherlock”) – looks back at the opening chapter, recalling the journey from green screen sound stages to a full-fledged Shire.

What was the experience of making one of these films with Peter? 
 I think I probably did myself a favor and tried not to do too much imagining about what it might be. I think whatever you conjure up nothing ever is what you imagine it to be. Whether it’s your trip here or your trip home, nothing is ever how you’re going to imagine it. So I suppose I was expecting the unexpected. The only thing I knew it would be was huge. I knew it would feel big, and I was right there. It did feel big. But outside of that, I had a feeling of what Pete was like as a director, but I didn’t have direct experience of him. I knew a couple of the actors but not well. It was really stepping into a different territory. Very often, you’re at least familiar with a few people from around, but I’ve never been to New Zealand before. So it was really much a fresh slate really. I didn’t know Ian [McKellen]. I didn’t know most of the people on it, by a long shot.
View more videos at: http://nbcbayarea.com.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/Martin-Freeman-Looks-Back-at-the-Making-of-the-First-Hobbit-Film-198714991.html

No comments: