Showing posts with label piers morgan. Show all posts
Showing posts with label piers morgan. Show all posts

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Being Madonna's 'ami necessaire', fancying Colin Firth and liking Alastair Campbell: Rupert Everett on his desert island pictures By RUPERT EVERETT

 With Colin Firth on the set of Another Country
Firth among equals, 1984: With Colin Firth on the set of Another Country. Colin had been cast in the role Kenneth Branagh played on stage. At first I quite fancied him, until he produced a guitar and began to sing protest songs between scenes. It took us 20 years to become friends


The farce be with me, 2009: Dreams do come true! Angela Lansbury, Julie Andrews and me backstage at the Shubert Theatre – I performed with Angela for six months in Noël Coward’s Blithe Spirit


Fired? No, I quit! 2006: Sitting at a table for Celebrity Apprentice with Ross Kemp, Danny Baker, Alastair Campbell and Piers Morgan. I knew I could not spend four days with these people. I was sitting with the man who’d sexed up the dossier that took us to war in Iraq. Actually he was rather a nice person...

The odd couple, 2000: On the set of The Next Best Thing, with Madonna. The film tore my career to shreds, but for a few short months – when it was made but not seen – I was her ‘ami necessaire’. The world was fascinated by us and so were we



Thursday, May 2, 2013

Gerard Butler: 'I've got Washington in the palm of my hand!' Gerard Butler posts comedy snapshots of his weekend in the capital By ELEANOR GOWE (MAIL ON LINE)



After a night schmoozing at the Correspondent's Dinner at the White House, Gerard Butler decided it was high time for a spot of sight seeing.

The star posted a photograph on his Twitter page showing him pretending to hold the U.S. Capitol Building in his hand.

'I've got Washington in the palm of my hand,;' he wrote on his Twitter page, perhaps also in reference to his latest movie Olumpus Has Fallen in which he saves the capital from terrorist attack.


In another shot, he posts a picture of himself enjoying a 'Man Date' with Piers Morgan on their way to the Correspondent's Dinner, looking dapper in a suit and bow tie.

However, the 43-year-old star was back in Beverly Hills on Wednesday, running errands in the city looking casual in jeans, shirt and boots.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2318090/Gerard-Butler-posts-comedy-snapshots-weekend-capital.html#ixzz2SBjDRXVL 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook




Friday, November 30, 2012

Hugh Grant U.K. TV Documentary Includes Piers Morgan Phone Hacking Comments (Video) 8:00 AM PST 11/28/2012 by George Szalai (HOLLYWOOD REPORTER)

Previously unseen footage of the CNN host and then-tabloid editor saying "a spate of stories" came out "because of mobile phones" could reignite an old debate.



LONDON - A Hugh Grant TV documentary set to air in the U.K. Wednesday night includes previously unseen 2003 footage of CNN host Piers Morgan telling British singer Charlotte Church about news stories that emerged thanks to phone hacking.

Channel 4, which will air Hugh Grant: Taking on the Tabloids at 8 p.m. London time, posted a video clip of the footage on YouTube Wednesday. It could reignite the debate about former Daily Mirror editor Morgan and his knowledge about hacking.

Channel 4 said Church's chat with Morgan was filmed when singer was 17 and preparing to address a crowd about a potential privacy law to protect under-18-year-olds.

During the Leveson Inquiry into media ethics and standards in the U.K., Morgan denied any involvement in hacking or having any reason to believe that it may have been used during his time at the Daily Mirror. As Channel 4 put it: "Piers Morgan has always said that he knew phone hacking existed, and he still maintains that he never knowingly used it."

Earlier this year, BBC host Jeremy Paxman told the Leveson Inquiry that Morgan once described how hacking works during a lunch event.



READ MORE: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hugh-grant-uk-tv-documentary-395005


Email: Georg.Szalai@thr.com
Twitter: @georgszalai


Sunday, December 18, 2011

CNN star Piers Morgan faces questions over past

 


LONDON (AP) — CNN star Piers Morgan may be known to Americans as an empathetic English interviewer, but it's his past at the heart of Britain's troubled tabloid newspaper world that is being trotted out before the cameras this week.

The often colorful and sometimes controversial story of Morgan's rise to the top will be revisited Tuesday, when the former editor appears by videolink at a judge-led inquiry into the ethics and practices of Britain's scandal-tarred press.

His appearance has been widely anticipated — not least because of the 46-year-old's irreverent flippancy.

"So heartwarming that everyone in U.K.'s missing me so much they want me to come home," he joked earlier this year amid demands he return to give evidence to the inquiry, set up by Prime Minister David Cameron following the disclosure that the now-defunct News of the World tabloid had for years illegally eavesdropped on the voice mail messages of public figures.

Actors Hugh Grant and Sienna Miller, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and singer Charlotte Church are among those who have given evidence about press abuse, while executives and lawyers for Murdoch's News Corp. have defended the newspaper.

Morgan shot to national prominence when he was picked by Murdoch to run the News of the World at age 28. Under his tenure the tabloid exposed actor Hugh Grant's liaison with Hollywood prostitute Divine Brown and Princess Diana's late-night phone calls to married art dealer Oliver Hoare. It wasn't all down to good reporting: Morgan has acknowledged he kept his edge in part through bribes paid to informants on rival titles.

In 1995 Morgan left the News of the World for the Daily Mirror. His time there was marked by scoops and controversy, but his editorship ended in 2004 when he ran a faked photograph purporting to show a British soldier urinating on an Iraqi detainee.

Morgan won a second life as a TV personality, eventually signing on as a judge of "America's Got Talent" and taking Larry King's old spot at CNN. So far, he's prospered. Ratings for "Piers Morgan Tonight" have been up 9 percent on last year's figures — good if not spectacular — and he appears to be reaching a younger audience.

CNN spokeswoman Barbara Levin said the network was "extremely pleased" with how Morgan's program was performing and the company has so far stood by its star even as the scandal over widespread phone hacking at the News of the World threatens to draw him in.

Skeletons have already begun peeking out of the closet.

Critics have been picking through old interviews and his autobiography "The Insider," in which Morgan makes clear he knew of phone hacking as long ago as 2001.

Interviewed by supermodel Naomi Campbell for GQ magazine before the scandal over the practice boiled over, Morgan said he couldn't get too upset over hacking because "loads of newspaper journalists were doing it."

In an earlier interview for BBC radio unearthed by one of his critics, Morgan appeared to go further, saying it was difficult to condemn private eyes hired to hack into people's phones "because obviously you were running the results of their work."

The "you" in his statement could be interpreted in different ways. Morgan insists he wasn't talking about himself but instead making "a general observation about tabloid newspaper reporters and private investigators."

Morgan maintains that he has never hacked a phone, ordered anyone to hack a phone, or knowingly run a story based on an illegally intercepted message.

But the denial is hard to square with a 2006 article in which he said he'd been played a phone message former Beatle Paul McCartney left for his now ex-wife Heather Mills in the wake of one of their fights.

"It was heartbreaking," Morgan wrote of the tape, saying that McCartney "sounded lonely, miserable and desperate, and even sang 'We Can Work It Out' into the answerphone."

How did Morgan come to hear the tape? He's refused to say, but Mills told the BBC in August that "there was absolutely no honest way" he could have obtained the recording. McCartney echoed her sentiment, saying he'd apparently been hacked.

Morgan's book abounds with tantalizing references to questionably obtained material: There's "a dodgy transcript of a phone conversation," a celebrity's stolen laptop, or — in one of the more revealing exchanges — actress Kate Winslet's personal details.

"Someone had got hold of her mobile phone number," Morgan wrote. "I never like to ask how."

When Winslet demanded to know how Morgan got her number, which she had only just changed, Morgan shrugged it off.

"Look, Kate," he joked, "You don't get to be the editor of the Mirror without being a fairly despicable human being."

Frazier Moore in New York contributed to this report.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sex on Downton Abbey??? I was entertained when they dragged the dead body by in Season One

Brendan Coyle and Joanne Froggatt in 'Downton Abbey'
The great British period drama has been many things, haughty, educational, dignified, but it’s never been particularly explicit, has it? Colin Firth might have smouldered around in his wet shirt for Pride and Prejudice, but he didn’t then whip off his breeches and startle the maid.
Well, it looks like that’s all about to change, with the arrival of a steamy moment for one (or two) of the characters in the nation’s favorite olden days drama, Downton Abbey.
Michelle Dockery, who plays Lady Mary, has given the Mirror a few clues as to how the rest of the current series will pan out, and who it could be in the sack. She said: “There’s a wedding, a funeral and a sex scene. I’m in one of those.”
There again, Joanne Froggatt, who plays Anna Smith, and Brendan Coyle, who plays John Bates, have both suggested it’s their relationship which will be illustrated in greater detail.
Joanne told BANG Showbiz: “Shooting love scenes is much easier now in the second series that it would have been in the first because we know each other so well now. We know what the other is thinking, we’re on the same page when it comes to the scenes.”
Brendan added: “We do see more passionate scenes between Anna and Bates this year, viewers will even get to see Anna with her hairdown. I’m blessed to work with Joanne and do these scenes with her and it has developed almost chronologically the relationship and our friendship. It’s a great storyline.” (via The List)
Let’s hope they keep it classy though, eh? That’s part of the point.
Here’s the other stuff people are talking about right now:
Sir Elton John’s Million Dollar Piano shows kicked off in Las Vegas last night. By all accounts it was a very sedade, conservative affair… ish. (via Musicrooms)
Joe Thomas of The Inbetweeners won’t be taking his clothes off in his new Channel 4 comedy Fresh Meat, about a bunch of freshers, settling into college life, because his character, Kingsley, isn’t as immature as Simon, his old character. (via Wigan Today )
Cheryl Cole’s been tweeting about her next solo album, on which she is working with producer Alex Da Kid: “I’m gonna have to get some patience.. This is hard.. I’m too frustrated with excitement for you to hear my new music.. I could pop!!
“Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!”
That’s probably not what it sounds like, mind you.
• Girls Aloud don’t just have one rising star, by the way, Nicola Roberts of the band has just released her debut solo album, to a fairly gushing critical reception. But it took her a while to get started, if only because she was spoiled from her experiences of working with songwriting company Xenomania. (via Digital Spy)
Sir Cliff Richard, the British Elvis, has admitted to feeling frustration at the lack of airplay his more recent work has been getting. He may have the distinction of achieving a No.1 single in every decade from the ’50s to the ’90s, and can still boast a fairly rabid fanbase, but his new songs aren’t getting the exposure he believes they deserve: “Singers can’t tell stations what to play, but when you’re left out for no apparent reason, there’s a frustration. I’ve kind of got over that now, and I’ve had my grumble, and I was right to have my grumble too, but life goes on.” (via Press Association)
• Steve Jones, the tall handsome Welsh man on the US X Factor who the critics don’t seem to have taken much of a shine to, has stormed off Piers Morgan’s chat show. Or did Piers insist he leave, as he claims on Twitter? No he probably did storm off. (via Coventry Telegraph)
• Method acting is all very well, Sam Worthington, but when you’re playing an arrogant jerk in a film like Last Night, try not to get on your co-star’s nerves, eh? Especially when she’s Keira Knightley, and clearly can hold a grudge. (via Belfast Telegraph)
• There’s no space to fully explain the full extent of why this is bad news, but Harry Hill is leaving ITV’s surreal Saturday night favorite, TV Burp, which means there will be no more tellymocking delights such as these:

Sad faces all round.