Friday, November 11, 2011

Dan Stevens at Armistice Day two minutes of silence in Trafalgar Square

Stars join Silence in the Square


Celebrities and soldiers have joined forces to commemorate Armistice Day in London's Trafalgar Square.

Actor Dan Stevens, who plays wounded soldier Matthew Crawley in period drama Downton Abbey, headed a list of famous names who appeared before the two-minute silence.

Other performers included Strictly Come Dancing stars Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace.

The Silence in the Square event was hosted by television presenter Ben Shephard.

Crowds gathered in the square to watch the performance. Adrian Kies, 85, who served in the Navy from 1944 to 1949 came by boat from the Netherlands to pay his respects.

The wheelchair-bound veteran said: "I came here after the war in 1945 and I saw the first parade and now I will see the last one for myself.

"It's very important for me to come and thank the British people who fought for us. I want to thank the British people for liberating the Netherlands.

"The event means a lot to me. It will be my last one to remember."

No comments: