Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Michael Fassbender was ‘very upset’ about not getting an Oscar nod. Also, he’s dating Nicole Beharie. By Jen Chaney (WASHINGTON POST)



When most actors don’t get nominated for an Academy Award, they put on a brave face, make a self-deprecating joke on Twitter and act like it doesn’t bother them one bit. But we all know it must irk them a little. And Michael Fassbender has confirmed it.

The star, who will soon be seen as an android in “Prometheus,” candidly admits in a new GQ profile that he was pretty bummed out when his performance in “Shame” failed to make the Oscar cut earlier this year.

“At the beginning people [say], ‘You’re going to be going to the Oscars,’ and you’re like, ‘Whatever, doesn’t matter, don’t think so,’ ” the actor tells GQ reporter Chris Heath. “But after a while it does penetrate. After a while you’re like, ‘Anyway, so I’m going to the Oscars. . . ’ . . . And you start to believe it. And I did. I thought I was going. And then I found out I wasn’t and I was upset. I was very upset by it.”

Lest you think that Fassbender’s Oscar feelings suggest a significant level of self-absorption, please know that he learned an important lesson from the experience.

“It’s a vanity thing,” he says. “It does become important to you. And it shouldn’t.”


READ MORE ABOUT THE GQ ARTICLE:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/michael-fassbender-was-very-upset-about-not-getting-an-oscar-nod-also-hes-dating-nicole-beharie/2012/05/15/gIQADHSORU_blog.html

No comments: