Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Benedict Cumberbatch: WikiLeaks Publishes Assange's Private Letter to Benedict Cumberbatch


Cuberbatch-assange

MASHABLE
October 9, 2013
By Fran Berkman

WikiLeaks' most recent release may not reveal any government secrets, but it does set a new standard for the age-old term, "no hard feelings."

The controversial website published a letter Wednesday written by founder Julian Assange to actor Benedict Cumberbatch, who portrays Assange in the upcoming film, The Fifth Estate. The letter is dated Jan. 15, 2013, about a week before the film's production began, and it appears to be a response to Cumberbatch's request for an in-person meeting. While Assange is cordial to Cumberbatch, he ultimately denies the actor's request.



"I hope that you will take such directness as a mark of respect, and not as an unkindness,"

Assange wrote. "I believe you are a good person, but I do not believe that this film is a good film." "I believe you are a good person, but I do not believe that this film is a good film."

The letter suggests Cumberbatch wanted to meet, so he could familiarize himself with Assange's mannerisms, to better portray him in the film. Assange wrote that he did not want to meet because he thought it would "validate" the film, which is "based on a deceitful book by someone who has a vendetta against me and my organisation."

In his letter, Assange even suggested that Cumberbatch give up his role in The Fifth estate.

"You will be used, as a hired gun, to assume the appearance of the truth in order to assassinate it. To present me as someone morally compromised and to place me in a falsified history. To create a work, not of fiction, but of debased truth.

"Not because you want to, of course you don't, but because, in the end, you are a jobbing actor who gets paid to follow the script, no matter how debauched.

"Your skills play into the hands of people who are out to remove me and WikiLeaks from the world.

"I believe that you should reconsider your involvement in this enterprise."

READ MORE HERE:  http://mashable.com/2013/10/09/assange-cumberbatch-letter/

No comments: