Saturday, January 18, 2014

Benedict Cumberbatch 'Almost Turned Down Sherlock'

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS TIMES
By BEN SKIPPER | January 17, 2014 12:33 PM GMT

Sherlock

Benedict Cumberbatch has almost turned down the lead role in BBC hit TV series Sherlock.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly ahead of the show's third series on PBS in the United States, he admitted that he had "pause for thought" when first offered the part.

"My reservation was, 'Well, this is a very iconic character, there will be a lot of attention on it' - this was before I had had any significant success," he explained.



"I knew there would still be a lot of focus on it. And while I had done work, it wasn't stepping into the populist limelight like playing a character like Holmes."

He was eventually swayed by the passion of show-creators Steve Moffat and Mark Gattis – who also plays Sherlock's brother Mycroft in the show.

"I thought, 'If I'm going to do this - if I'm going to step into the limelight with a large leading role of iconic status - then I might as well do it with these people'," he said.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/benedict-cumberbatch-almost-turned-down-sherlock-1432729

No comments: